This is the WASTED BLOG. For my main author website, click this link.

Awards: WASTED won the Read it or Else category in the Coventry Award and was runner-up in the North East Book Award. It is longlisted for the Carnegie Medal and shortlisted for the Manchester, Grampian, Angus, and RED Awards.


Saturday 4 December 2010

FIRST TWITTER INTERVIEW - CRAMLINGTON LEARNING VILLAGE

I've just had my first ever Twitter interview with a school - and it was a first for them, too. Cramlington Learning Village in the North East of England set it up and for a hectic 40 minutes on Thursday we batted questions back and forth. Such fun! And I didn't even have to leave my house, which is an advantage when outside it looks like this.

Anyway, I thought I'd try to transcribe the gist of the conversation here.
Me (A couple of minutes before we started): I keep thinking this is a radio interview - keep clearing my throat!
Them: Cramlington Learning Village says Hello to @nicolamorgan

Me: yikes, a twitter interview is a strange feeling. Hello Cramlington Learning Village!

Kirsty & Sophie: What's your best thinking and writing place? 

Me: thinking: outside, walking with dog & no ppl! Writing: desk, home, no ppl... 

Chris: what sort of dog do you have and what's it called?

Me: Hi Chris - yellow lab, called Amber. Eats snow & is completely mad! 

Jaz: Have you ever put her in a book?

Me: Yes! She appeared in Mondays are Red, my first one. She behaved well, for a change Also, btw, ...(continued)...there's a character called Jaz in Chicken Friend. Unfortunately, she's not very nice. (Sorry!)
Jaz: LOL
Kirsty: What was your favourite moment in writing Wasted?

Me: Kirsty - yikes, I'm not sure. Usually my favourite moment is writing the last line ;) but with Wasted I had some more...(continued)...like the beach scene & the spiked drink & Jess going to Jack's room first time, OH and Kerry puking on a gnome...

Chris: Will you be at the North East Book Award party in Jan?

Me: Chris - YES, I will def be at the #NETBA party! try to stop me! Will u all b there?
(Much screaming, apparently, in the library)

Timi: did u like our rap? (They'd sent me a rap they are going to perform at the award ceremony.)
Me: I was jst about to say, rap is AMAZING & I can't wait to hear it! 

Jazz: Are u musically trained? great description when Jess sings Jack's music

Me: am musical FAILURE. Useless! All from my imagination, I'm afraid...

Me: Jaz,  thanks re comment about the descrip of Jess singing Jack's music 1st time - lots of ppl like that bit!
 Me: Can u tell me what all your favourite scenes were?

Them: Jess going in Jack's bedroom, the spiked drink, Jack dying

Me: You are cruel! Poor Jack (and Jess!)

Kirsty and Danielle: What are u writing now? Or is it a secret?
Me: it's called Brutal Eyes, set in London; very gritty, tough, brutal, very shocking. Is that good or bad??
Chris (or Timi - I can't remember): shocking is good, not frightening!
(I also asked them if they'd all tossed a coin for the ending and if the pigeon scene gave them a fright, but their answers have vanished off Twitter. I'll ask them in January.)

Them: We all have to go to class now. See you in January!

Me: Thank you!! See you in January. Fab questions.
When they go back to school on Monday, they are going to play a coin-tossing game and one of them will win a book. With many thanks to Christine Athey for setting up the event. And I am really looking forward to the North East Teenage Book Award party. I was there once before, with Fleshmarket, and it was such good fun.

No comments: